Pieces of Professional Development
The Professional Development Committee is excited to bring you Pieces of Professional Development, a social media-based challenge encouraging NSPN members to initiate, sustain, and share their professional growth and build their networks! Each month, we’ll share an activity you can complete no matter how busy your schedule or what training/career stage you’re at. Participants can share their take on the activity using the hashtag #SciPolProfDev to accumulate points. The 3 participants with the most points by May 2022 will receive an official NSPN Professional Development Certificate (resume booster!), NSPN swag, and features on social media!
Participant progress will be tracked using the following scoring system for each monthly activity:
- +1 point if you tweet/post on LinkedIn about the activity (+0.5 points if you tweet/post about a different professional development activity)
- +1 point if you use the hashtag #SciPolProfDev
- +1 point if you tag another person to do the activity
Scoring will be cumulative with no deadlines. This means if you start participating in the challenge months after its launch, you can still complete past months’ activities and collect points.
All participants in the challenge will develop or improve skills in the following areas:
- Leveraging social media to build professional networks
- Setting up informational interviews
- Improving resumes, CVs, and other job application materials
- Preparing for job interviews
- Developing your elevator pitch
- And many more!
Look out for a new professional development activity during the 3rd week of each month!